What is worth learning?
In this module, I learned that teachers don't have a set curriculum given to them. I didn't realize it until this module, I would always get confused that some of my friends from a different school would learn different things and not read the same books I read. I was surprised about the hidden curriculum, its described as how one should behave, who people are, what gender, class and culture are learned through the hidden curricula and the assumptions that are embedded in language and culture. As a future educator I need to make sure that my students are fully engaged within the curriculum and actually want to learn. I already knew about the explicit curriculum due to me having to follow the routines and procedures in the classroom that were being formed since kindergarten to twelfth grade. The lower income schools have a lack of materials and resources to succeed, while as higher income schools have more than enough resources to succeed.
Hi Bri, thanks for contributing to this weeks discussion! I was also shocked about the hidden curriculum, and the different values taught to students depending on the income of their school. I am glad we were introduced to these different style of curriculums before going into teaching so we can see which ones benefit the students the most, and which ones to avoid. It is extremely sad that certain schools treat and teach their students certain ways because they are under-funded and cannot provide the resources children need to succeed, but I do believe that with the right educator who values their students above everything else can still provide their class with a high quality education. It seems as if your main concern is to have your students enjoy and engage in their education, which is an awesome trait to have as a teacher so your students learn to love learning new things. Thanks again for posting!
ReplyDeleteHi Brienne! I also thought there was only one kind of curriculum, the kind were we outline our routines and procedures of what were are teaching. I was also surprised to learn about the hidden curriculum, as we saw in the video like you mentioned, lower income schools are not taught the same as higher income schools. The values the school has that they pass onto the children are displayed in the technology they have, how they treat the students etc. An example being the higher income school getting an observatory, a news room, a shiny new auditorium etc. The lower income school gets metal detectors! The higher income school is teaching leadership skills while the lower income school is teaching obedience.
ReplyDeleteHi Bri! When I read that there is a hidden curriculum, I was confused because I also thought there was only one kind. I also had friends from different schools that did different assignments than me. Sometimes their assignments at school would be way easier than mine and it would make me wonder how schools were able to make curriculum different for each school. It is interesting to me to see the different ways that schools are ran, which usually depends on who is running the school. I agree with what you said about lower income schools not having as many materials as schools with a higher income. I believe that all schools should be ran the same and have the same amount of materials so it is fair to the students. Students at a lower income school should not feel like they are not getting the same experience as students at a school with a higher income. You did a great job on your blog!
ReplyDelete